Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Jan 31 - 1st Day in Cape Town

I slept well. After an enjoyable breakfast, Ken and I drove to a major shopping center so that I might purchase some final items for my journey. My first objective was to make sure that my ATM card worked and it did. Since my backpack zipper was broken, I purchased a new backpack that would hold my cameras, kindle, compass, first aid kit, bottled water and other sundry items. I used my CapitalOne credit card and it worked...good. Next to the pharmacy to buy a few items and used my Navy FCU credit card...it worked...good. Before traveling overseas, always contact your banks and/or credit unions to make them aware of your travel plans and which ATM/credit cards you will be using. I purchased an international cell phone when I traveled through SE Asia last year. I purchased the South African SIM card for R15 (~$2) plus R50 minutes. This will offer me back-up communications in the event of an emergency and allow me to keep it touch with the Cape Town Baldwins. My contract with SKYPE only covers calls to the USA; outside of the USA calling area calls are more expensive.

Back home for lunch and sat down to use the computer. I was able to access my BLOG, make an entry and download some pictures.....it works...good. Next test was to use SKYPE to call the USA..talked to my son, PJ.....SKYPE worked...good.  Since there is a 7 hour time difference between Southern Africa and the USA, I have to make sure that I don't call too early.

The Baldwins, myself and friend of theirs from Durban, Maori, went to a fabulous restaurant last night. The fish and wines are excellent and the prices much less than the USA.  After a couple of glasses of wine, my head and body were ready for bed...I need to get my internal clock in synch with Southern Africa time. Tomorrow we are scheduled to take a ride around the Cape area.

1 comment:

  1. Tom, so excited to follow your trip this way...be safe and keep blogging!! Kathy Bacon

    ReplyDelete