Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Feb 21 - 22: Doing Stupid - White Water Rafting,Helicopter Ride and Victoria Falls Hotel










On the 1st day of independent travel, about 8 of us decide to do white water rafting in the Zambezi river which forms Vic Falls and separates Zambia and Zimbabwe. I have been white water rafting on a few occasions  in the States and am quite comfortable in the water. What I didn't count on was how we were going to get to the river's edge.

We were picked-up and 7:30 AM, briefed and head to the river. The drive is about 10 miles outside of the town of Vic Falls. After leaving paved highway, we proceed about another 4 miles on dirt road arriving at the edge of the gorge. Departing the trucks, we must descend 750 feet down a steep path made up of stone, tree branch steps, uneven topography and no hand-rails. To say the least, it was a treacherous journey...one slip and you could get banged up pretty bad.......this was my "Doing Stupid". We arrived at the river's edge exhausted; at least I was. Dripping with sweat, I wanted to jump into the river but that had to wait. After entering the raft, our guide - Simon - a Zimbabwe student attending med school at UT in Austin, gives us our instructions on how to paddle, what to do if one is thrown into the water, what to do if the raft flips. We push away from shore, practiced some stokes and off we go into the river.

It is exciting....it is invigorating....my youth revisited. We travel effortlessly through 2 three-class rapids...we are experts...the river is little challenge. BAM...we hit the class-five rapid which hits us as we were at the top of a wave, over we go...all of us into the Zambezi River...now I was cooled off. We followed Simon's earlier instructions perfectly....we stayed with the raft by hanging onto the raft's peripheral rope, Simon was able to turn the raft right-side up and we were all pulled into the raft and off we went....maybe we were breathing a little heavy but it was an experience; another part of our adventure.

We made the rest of the trip without further mishap...the entire trip was about 2 hours. Now the hard part...getting up the to the top of the gorge; 750 feet straight-up. I can honestly state that I was never so tired our exhausted as I was in making that difficult climb. My calf and hamstring muscle were taunt and out of strength...I barely was able to put one foot in front of the other. I was sweating like a stuck pig. I must thank my team mates Soey, Soon, Isao, Mr. Lee and his wife Kim and the guides for encouraging me and providing a drink here and the hand pull there...I made it....Doing Stupid by Mr. Stupid...one lives and learns...you would think that I am old enough to ask the right questions before I embark on an adventure.

We arrived back at the Savannah Guest House, showered and got ready for a Zambezi sun-set cruise. Why I signed-up I'll never know. It lasted from 4:30 - 6:30 PM, all drinks included as we meandered down the river. Met a couple from Brazil who were 2 kids in love, 21 and 22 years of age and a tour guide for a number of Indonesia tourist that were on board.

After dinner with about 10 people from our group at Mama Africa, we headed for an early bed. Most people were leaving tomorrow AM by car, plane, train or bus...these world travelers are amazing. Oh by the way I had crocodile steak for dinner...not bad.

This morning I took a helicopter ride over Victoria Falls. It was great and I have some amazing pictures.

After the helo ride, I decide to get a haircut from Clifford, the local barber, who came highly recommended. I can see why...he gives a superb African buzz cut. My hair on my head is approximately 1/4 " in length and now everyone looks at yours truly with a wary eye. My fellow travelers Lee, Kim and Isao all got a good chuckle when they 1st saw me and felt the head that feels like a short bristle brush.


Helicopter Overview of Vic Falls

Zambezie River
   


The Smoke That Roars

Beautiful



Hey Good Looking...Not

Entrance to Vic Falls Hoter - 5 Star

View From Terrace Over Cocktails


After spendin 5 hours of frustration on the Internet, I was only able to update the text and not download any pictures.

Lee, Kim, Isao and I went to the Victoria Falls Hotel, a truly 5 star hotel, where rooms go for $320 US per night. What an absolutely beautiful hotel with a grand entrance foyer, mounted game heads, polished wood veneer, a dual stairway going in opposite directions and the most awesome view of the Zambezi River and bridge between Zimbabwe and Zambia. We had a couple of drinks on the terrace with the magnificent view...the night was cool, beautiful stars and good company. The drinks were very reasonable with caparinias and Isao's Devil's Hole drink costing but $6 each. After about an hour and a half, we head for Mama Africa's for dinner and are back at the Savannah Guest House by 10 PM. We say our good-byes because Lee, Kim and Isao are going horseback riding at 6:30 AM.


I leave for Johannesburg on a South Africa Air flight at 1:15 PM tomorrow.


Until next time...Tom

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tom
    I'm Mr. Lee.
    Thank your many help me.
    Your blog is very good.
    Now here is Vic Falls.
    Let come my blog and see your picture.
    My blog is http://kr.blog.yahoo.com/kkleekk11
    Please, let write your comment at '댓글쓰기‘.
    Have nice your African adventure trip.

    ReplyDelete