Monday, January 31, 2011

I Learn a Geography Lesson and Arrive Safely in Cape Town

The flight from Dulles to Johannesburg was a direct flight with a stop in Dakar, Senegal. The distance and flying time to Senegal was 3,800 miles/7.5 hours. Now the geography lesson...the distance and flying time from Senegal to Jo'Burg was 4,200 miles/8.5 hours; flying time from Dulles to LA, California takes under 5 hours. Looking at a map, you can then begin to appreciate the enormity of Africa...you can fit the US, Western Europe, India, China, Argentina plus the British Isles into an area the size of Africa.


 A minor incident occurred in the Jo'Burg airport...as I was walking to board my flight to Cape Town, a gentleman informed me that my backpack flap was open. At first, I thought that someone had attempted to pick-pocket my backpack but what happened was that the zipper split, releasing the flap. My cameras and kindle were about to fall out of my backpack....thank goodness a major incident was avoided. I was fortunate to be upgraded to first-class on the 2 hr flight to Cape Town ---china service and a glass for the wine. The host for my stay in Cape Town, Ken Baldwin, picked me up at the airport ....I am staying at the Baldwin's  B &B located at the foot of Table Mountain. It is an absolutely beautiful B &B with four properties where you can either rent a single room, double room or a separate home; each is en suite with kitchen facilities. After a short hello to Ken's wife, Jackie, and a glass of wine, it was time for bed....zzzzzzz.


If your thinking of a trip to the Cape Town area see http://www.capetown-southafrica.co.za/Oaktree.php...

No comments:

Post a Comment