Saturday, March 12, 2011

March 10/11 (Updated 3/12): Tsitsikamma National Park

We get-up early for a game drive, have breakfast and say farewell to the elephants of Addo. Our early drive safari is a bust...there is too much water and brush cover to see many animals. The best time to visit Southern Africa is their winter months (June, July, August).
We drive along the beautiful coast marveling at the beauty of the Indian Ocean while by-passing Port Elizabeth. We stop at a beach resort, Jeffery Bay, which has wide-white beaches and famous for its surfing waves. Unfortunately, the wind is blowing and it is lightly raining. I walk the beach and picked-up some shells for my grandchildren. I have a nice calamari lunch basket before we leave for Tsitsikamma National Park. Tsitsikamma means " place of abundant water".


Beach Areas of South Africa
Amusement Park - Jeffery Bay
   





Calamari Lunch
Jeffery Bay's Wide-White Beach
 Our accommodations at the Protea Hotel located at the Tsitsikamma Village of Storms River. The place is a 3 star hotel and my room has twin beds. We eat dinner, I update a portion of my BLOG and we end the night at a backpacker bar and play pool and drink 10 rand red wine. There is another Nomad group camping at this facility and we swap stories.


My Room
Protea Hotel Facility
After breakfast, we leave for the Park...what a magnificent place. It is very, very similar to the Big Sur and the northern coast of California. Steep cliffs, pounding waves and a gorgeous ocean. You can rent a fully equipped cottage for 2 or 4, facing the ocean for $90 or $140 per night...what a deal.  Sea shell picture is for my grandchildren and a reminder of the upcoming summer at the beach.


Rough Surf
Tsitsikamma Coast Line
  
Pounding Waves

Area Sea Shells

Swirling Indian Ocean











Some of the folks take a  hour trek to a waterfalls; I opt to walk the coast line and visit a suspension bridge. My choice didn't disappoint. Look at the magnificent  waves as they pound the rocky shore, feel the spray as you approach the tidal pools and enjoy the 1/2 mile walk to the suspension bridges. Around 11:30 AM, I take an hour out to read the local paper and enjoy another calamari lunch.....delicious.......my luncheon companion was a french fry eating bird...


Swaying...Swaying
Suspension Bridge from Walkway



French Fry Eating Bird
I arrive back at the hotel and begin to catch-up on this BLOG. It is a long and arduous process since the computers are about 4 years-old but most importantly, the communication links are slow. I have been able to catch-up to this AM which makes me ecstatic. My updates should be complete as I reach Cape Town on Tuesday, March 15...I can't believe that the time has passed so quickly and I did have a fabulous time.

Hey wait a minute...what is this store/restaurant located in the little Village of Storms River. ...why...why... it is a USA 1950/60s era throw-back soda bar emporium named "Chrome and Fin City" named in honor of Elvis, James Dean and Marilyn Monroe. It has hundreds of pictures of these stars, jukeboxes playing 50/60 music, 50 vintage Chevy Impalas with wide fins and a soda shop....what a hoot!!! I met the owner, John Durban, who is a big Elvis fan. He invites me to sit a special couch built on the rear-end frame of a Chevy and takes my picture. All cars are in mint condition and he drives them a few blocks every other week. Of course I had a soda made by a real African "soda jerk"!!


John Duran and 1950s Chevy Impala

Chrome and Fin City



50's Memorabilia


Seat of Honor with Elvis
"Jail House Rock" Pillow
 

Winged Glory
Look at the Rear Fins
Pink Beauty
 







A Real Pinball Machine



Cool Pink 50's Jukebox





South African Soda Jerk

I almost finish the BLOG but dinner calls.....chicken stew over rice. We spend the rest of the evening at the backpacker resort playing pool and drinking South African red wine. Tomorrow should be an easy day because we only have about a 2 hour drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment